We keep hearing this constant droaning from the left that Bush was wrong to go to war with Iraq because we did not find WMDs. Despite the fact that we have found WMDs. But that does not matter, the left is not interested in truth, they are only interested in destroying Bush.
Be that as it may, I decided to go look up the resolution authorizing war in Iraq. What does that resolution say were the reasons for going to war. You can read the resolution here
A summary of the reasons are…
- "direct and flagrant violation of the cease-fire"
- "Iraq had an advanced nuclear weapons development program that was much closer to producing a nuclear weapon than intelligence reporting had previously indicated"
- Iraq was in "material and unacceptable breach of its international obligations"
- "continuing to possess and develop a significant chemical and biological weapons capability, actively seeking a nuclear weapons capability, and supporting and harboring terrorist organizations; "
- "continuing to engage in brutal repression of its civilian population thereby threatening international peace and security in the region, by refusing to release, repatriate, or account for non-Iraqi citizens wrongfully detained by Iraq, including an American serviceman"
- "has demonstrated its capability and willingness to use weapons of mass destruction against other nations and its own people"
- "continuing hostility toward, and willingness to attack, the United States, including by attempting in 1993 to assassinate former President Bush and by firing on many thousands of occasions on United States and Coalition Armed Forces "
- "members of al Qaida, an organization bearing responsibility for attacks on the United States"
- "Iraq continues to aid and harbor other international terrorist organizations, including organizations that threaten the lives and safety of American citizens"
- Involvment in the 9/11 attack
- Willingness to attack the United States and it’s allies.
- Enforcement of Nations Security Council Resolution 660.
- To Liberate Iraqs 50 million civilians.
- End support for international terrorists.
I know this is not exactly a summary, but you get the idea. Don’t be deluded into thinking that we went to war with Iraq for one reason only.