From Evan Balasuriya
I am back in Minneapolis with the 5th group of Minnesota volunteers from Sri
Lanka and there is yet so much more work to do in Sri Lanka. Below is an
update on my organization HelpSriLanka.us accomplishments at our chosen
tsunami devastated village in Sri Lanka. Please note that HelpSriLanka.us is
now a bona fide non-profit tax exempt 501 c 3 charitable foundation per IRS final
determination last month.
1. We have rebuilt 54 tsunami destroyed homes.
2. We have repaired 6 tsunami damaged homes.
3. We have built an enclosed shower stall for children and women in
the village with a large water tank where water will be available through
out the day.
4. We have built a 2100 square foot Community Center to educate the
children of our chosen village.
5. We have built a playground.
6. We have provided healthcare for more than 4000 tsunami victims in
the month of February and March of 2005.
7. We have fed more than 700 villagers daily for two weeks in the
month of March 2005.
8. We have opened Bank accounts for more than 120 children in our
chosen village with an initial deposit of Rs. 500.00.
9. 113 American volunteers have visited the village since January
2005 and helped to rebuild the homes and educate the children.
WE STILL NEED TO:
1. Rebuild the remaining 11 tsunami destroyed homes at $ 3,000 US
dollars each to a total of $ 33,000 US dollars.
2. Repair 20 tsunami damaged homes at $ 1,000 US dollars each to a
total of $ 20,000 US dollars.
3. Plaster and Paint nearly 100 homes that may cost about $ 20,000 US
4. Provide each 100 home a fan to ward off the flies which may cost $
10,000 US dollars that will include a fan and electrical wiring.
Hence, accordingly we need nearly $ 83,000 US dollars to finish the project
at our chosen village. As you may know, lately, it has become very difficult
to raise funds in USA due to our own recent storm disasters and
devastations. Therefore, any contribution is warmly appreciated and 100% of
it will go directly to rebuild our chosen village in Sri Lanka. You may
contribute directly at the web site www.HelpSriLanka.us
<http://www.helpsrilanka.us/> and then go to Paypal site and or send a
check written to HelpSriLanka.us to the address below.
Thank you in advance for your consideration and for any donation.
3140 Chowen Avenue South # 333
Minneapolis, MN 55416